As noted a few days ago, I had removed the stern rail, traveler, access cover, and rear cleat from Flirt. In doing so, I noticed a glob of bondo on her stern toe rail. Knowing that bondo and water do not mix too well (I have restored too many fiats for me not to know that) I started to grind it out when I discovered more. Grinding that away, I noticed most of her stern “toe rail’ was in fact made up of Resin and bondo. This is not good.
Today I took a hammer and my trusty dewalt orbital to Flirt’s shapely stern and discovered the true extent of the hidden horrors. Almost all of that stern “toe rail’ is in fact a repair. Now I am faced with a conundrum. I can grind it all out and rebuild it, I can grind it all out and flush the deck to the transom, or I can flush the deck to the transom and then buy or build a wooden “toe rail” like the later sprites have
Almost everything above the ground away ‘Glass is pure resin and bondo.
I think it is time I cut a hole into the rear deck for that Lazarette hatch and see what I can find. I am leaning towards cutting off the toerail completely and flushing the deck to the transom like many wooden boats do. At least the cracks in her stern are no longer suspicious. I know exactly what they are guilty of now