First I cut a big hole in the aft deck of Flirt, then I cut off the “rail” that ran across her stern. I do not need to tell you how flimsy this made her 50+ year old ‘glass. To say she was a bit flimsy back there would be the understatement of the year.
To address this issue, I backed the deck with a 1/8″ sheet of ply. First I cut the opening in it to 22×18 to give the opening a 1 inch gap between it and the actual opening in the deck. I then sliced and diced it to fit neatly under the ‘glass. From there it was the fun stuff…
Chip brush employed and clamps held ready, I brushed resin over the ply till it looked like a finely varnished piece of wood, then while still wet, I clamped it to the underside of the deck. A few hours of drying and I could get to work applying resin and ‘glass to cover it from stem to stern and side to side, making it one with the deck and sealed from the elements. I can now stand on the deck and it only gives a little.
I love doing positive work instead of negative