I may have lied (or been optimistic) when I said the end of the beginning. Today I finally got the thruhulls for the head out. Fifty-one years ago when Flirt was first launched, she had a “dump it over the side” toilet installed under the V-berth. Obviously, as she came from Lake Champlain, it had been long removed by the time I purchased her.
While the head was long gone, the thruhulls and seacocks for them were still very much installed. If you remember back a few posts, I had finally uncovered them from under a layer of fairing material and paint. Today, I finally removed them all together.
It took quite a bit of doing. I had to grind them both down from the outside of the hull and sliced and diced with my right angle grinder before I could finally break both the mechanical and chemical bonds that held them tight and leakproof all these years.
Once I had them pulled out, I started sanding and grinding to get the holes they left behind clean and rough for some ‘glass and resin when I noticed a ‘soft” spot. grinding away at it, I discovered one of the two worst things you can find on a glassfibre boat- Blisters. Grinding away at them (there were several around the thruhulls) the old resin made a dust that settled on the rest of the hull, I can see dozens of them pocking the bottom of flirt like some awful disease.
Never believe it when people say that old school glassfibre boats do not get blisters. I have the proof in the grinding, filling, and fairing I now have to do to get my sprite’s bottom smooth and ready for paint