I am not one to do things in a linier fashion. I tend to flit about and work on many things in some absurd and never completely thought out order. In the end the project will come to a crescendo and everything will be done, but until then I will work on a little bit of this, a little bit of that, and some of the other thing. It is just the way I am.
Case in point is Flirt’s ever suffering rudder. When I removed it from under her stern months ago, it was fairly bad shape with many layers of bottom paint and several large chunks that had been taken out of it’s trailing (and bottom) edge when the keel was presumably damaged.
This was followed by my sanding the rudder down to the raw glass and doing some rather well done (if I say so myself) repairs that brought back most of it’s structural integrity and all of it’s shape and form. This was not enough though, I wanted something stronger and less likely to get damaged a second time. Cue the Carbonfibre.
After taking off all the gelcoat, I draped the Carbonfibre cloth over the rudder and proceeded to coat it in resin, smoothing it out and shaping it to fit the complex contours of Flirt’s steering apparatus. With it’s decreasing radius trailing edge that also grows thinner, this is a fairly intricate piece of mechanical design. Hopefully it steers my Sprite fairly well.
Now, after much coating and sanding smooth, it is all but ready to be installed back under Flirt’s pert little stern. All that remains is to give it a layer or two of barrier coat and some bottom paint and hopefully it will be good to go for another 50 years of steering my little boat out of trouble. Shame nobody will ever be able to see the work I did to it as it will be completely submerged when Flirt is in the water