Even in this weather, I am still slowly getting stuff done. Today was supposed to be a blizzard, but thankfully those of us in Southern NJ were spared 90% of the storm. Flirt’s birthplace in Rhode Island was not so lucky. There the snow they got could be measured in feet (almost a metre deep to my European friends) but here, the roads were clear and what was left on the grass and on Flirt could be easily brushed off. I expect in a day or two it will be completely gone.
Even with that, I got some work done. As I am working in the cabin, I have to smooth everything out before I can start laminating stringers and ribs into flirt to support her deck and V-berth. Today, I spent a little over an hour with an “flapper wheel” on my trusty grinder smoothing down the glass and sanding off the textured paint that had been on the inside of the hull probably for decades. When I was done, I was white and the boat was a natural resin colour.
This was where the forward most chainplate was once located. Now it is a nice smooth hull ready for an oak stringer, some ribs, and a skin of carbonfibre to make everything nice and strong.
Here is the side of Flirt’s Starboard hull. This area once held the shelf and was coated in some nasty thick textured gray paint with speckles. I am very glad it is gone.
And here we see the forepeak, all nice and smooth and ready for a coating of black carbonfibre.
I realize that some of these updates are akin to watching paint dry, boring with little meat to chew on, but it is just nice in the dead of winter to still be making some progress. I hope by the end of the week to have the first of the oak stringers bonded to the inside of the hull. They are going all the way up where the deck meets the hull to strengthen that area and then I will run “ribs” down the side of the hull, epoxied into place and covered over in C/F to give flirt some serious strength.