Uncategorized
Leave a Comment

It looks worse than it really is.

As much as I hate doing “negative work” I did some today. I redid the under deck supports I did a week or so ago. Sitting, ok laying, where the V-berth does and looking up, I just could not stand how I pieced together the oak around the half inch ply I had bonded to the underside of the deck. It looked bad and I am sure it was not as strong as it could be.

So out it all came. The epoxy had a death grip on the ‘glass, but eventually I got the pieced together oak stringers out and made up some new one piece ones. These I notched in the centre to fit over the ply before epoxying them up into place.

Thanks to some new clamps from DeWalt, I did not even need to drill more holes through the deck. They have some new beam clamps that reverse, allowing you to go from squeeze to stretch by moving one of the ends. Brilliant idea that came in very handy today.

So.. before.. with the oaken beams cut and “spliced” around the centre strip of ply:

before

And after, with the new one piece oaken beams that straddle the ply.

After

And don’t worry, it only looks worse than it is.. all the drips are soon to get sanded smooth

Messy Forepeake

This entry was posted in: Uncategorized

by

A long time sailor who has been away from the water for too long, I am working hard to bring an old and abused boat back to life. When not working on my boat, I can often be found working as a Stage Hand in Atlantic City or just out and about on my Mountain Bike. I really come off as a quiet and boring person when people first meet me.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s