While not completely done yet, this is a new month and I wanted to make sure people knew I was still moving along with fixing Flirt up.
After a run to West Marine for some more epoxy and filler, I finally got the main part of the mast support under the deck in place and bonded. This is done up with a sheet of plywood 6 inches wide across the deck from one side of the hull to the other with a secondary piece to double it’s thickness directly under the mast itself. This mimics what SeaStar did to my sprite back in 1963.
Next to these bits of ply, I epoxied in two lengths of oak. These run alongside the plywood across the beam of the boat. I will be laminating two more beams atop these and curving them down to meet the insides of the hull to transfer all weight and stress from the mast and rigging down into Flirt’s basic Structure.
After getting the basic part of the support for the mast done, I also epoxied in another stringer along the deck to hull mount. I notched this to fit over the support and give it more strength as it spreads out the load over a larger area of the hull.
Overall, not a bad day’s worth of work.. and my epoxy skills are getting better and better, even if I did buy the wrong type of filler.
404 is much better than 406 for this type of work.. but It was stull fun making epoxy into a mashed potato like consistency and pushing it deep into every crack and crevice. Going to be hell to sand smooth though.