I know maybe I post too often about every little thing I am doing with Flirt, but it is fun to both do the work, share what I did, and even posit some musings over it. I hope you can forgive me such an indulgence.
Yesterday, I showed off that I had the forward bulkhead epoxied into place. Today I offer it glassed up and ready for a layer of Carbonfibre. As this bulkhead not only separates the cabin from the forepeak and it’s nasty anchor and chain but also helps support the deck above it, I decided to make it as strong as I could to keep it from cracking or breaking loose. As such it is getting two layers of epoxy and glass on both sides plus a single layer of that magic CF. When it is finished with it’s overlay of real cedar planks, it should be quite immovable from it’s position.
It did not seem all that long ago that I was mocking it up in foamboard:
and now I am glassing it over in preparation of my next roll of carbonfibre arriving.
What is especially important about this bulkhead is that it allows me to start to working on the extended V-berth. From that point I can start rebuilding the cabin furniture in it’s new spots and from there I can finish off the interior of Flirt.
It’s good to make positive progress.. but to be honest, it would have been -very- hard to remove anything else from my Sprite. She is basically a bare hull build at this time.
And just for fun, my dollar store mixing bowl with a used chip brush and gloves.
Yes, Flirt’s deck is a mess. I have most of it sanded down to the bare ‘glass in anticipation of relaying it in carbonfibre. With the dreadful condition of her gelcoat, it was the only way to get it strong and smooth again