I bought Flirt for many reasons, not all of them logical. The most illogical (as Spock would no doubt point out) was her looks. There is something so beautiful about an older boat with her long overhangs forwards and aft and a low springy sheer. It is the “stereotypical” sailboat that Alberg was so fond of drawing for his clients. All She needs was a traditional Gaff rig and you would never have never known her true age.
The other reason was to learn. I enjoy learning, I enjoy tinkering, if I can tinker and learn at the same time, I am in heaven. Flirt had been quite the learning curve.
After a long and wet winter (still not over, 20 days to go!) weather and work finally conspired to give me a few hours to work on my Sprite. Climbing below decks I could smell Mold and Rot. Never a good combination aboard any boat. The mold was easy to spot, my temporary companionway hatch had a layer of fuzz growing on it. It is only a thin layer of ply with a tarp wrapped around it and taped into position. It getting moldy does not even register on the “big deal” metre.
The Rot was harder to find.
Last Fall, before closing Flirt up, I went over her and sealed up any and all of the small holes I could find on her topsides. It appears I missed a couple, one of them rather large. Right above my new furniture I managed to miss a hole where the rigging tangs come up out of the deck. I am replacing them with deck mounted eyes, so ripping them out was a given. Filling in the slot left behind.. not-so-much.
As I was not quite happy with how my furniture came out, I was not upset that I had to rip it all out. I was just surprised that something that was completely embedded in epoxy and securely epoxied to the hull could form rot. A learning experience to be sure, but one I will have to figure out, just as soon as I fill in that hole.
It looks so bare without furniture.