I started today off to fix an issue Flirt has had as long as I have owned her. I am unsure if it is an issue all Sprites have, just the early sprites like Flirt have, or if it is a peculiar problem only Flirt possesses.
Basically, even when sitting on an “even keel” Flirt always had water that refused to run off of her cockpit seating. There is something in the general shape, that even with molded in drainage, that kept the water right against cabin edge. While I am sure this led to many a wet bottom over the years, I know it led to the rotten combings that surround the cockpit.
So after cutting a deeper slot for drainage, I proceeded to use a dowel wrapped in wax paper to build up a form to rebuild it deeper and with more slope.
While I was waiting for the epoxy to dry, I found myself busy cutting and shaping the next piece of plywood to fit underneath the bridgedeck.. it was only in doing so that I came to the moment when realization hit and I had a thought how I could do the drains better, easier, and faster. Hence Hindsight!
It did not take long to rip out the drain I had built.. it was not quite hard and gloved hands made quick work of the epoxy and glassfibre matting. Next came the plywood for the bridgedeck. As you can see, it is cut to fit around the drains.. once I get the ply beneath the seats, I can more easily shape the drain and fit it to better fit the boat.
Until then, enjoy the epoxy!