After last weeks near disaster (I over-dramatize) I finally got the seat drain molded in and the under seat supports for the cockpit epoxied into place. I will eventually sheath them in carbonfibre, but for now, a good covering of epoxy keeps them safe.
It is amazing how strong and stiff that part of the cockpit already feels. Where once you could feel the entire structure move beneath your weight and hear it rub on the rudder’s shaft, now it moves just that little bit less.. and I am not even partway done in adding support to this critical area.
While most people like to look at a boat’s cabin (and Flirt’s will be nice) you really spend most of your time “out on deck” and in a smallish pocket-cruiser like Flirt, that means the cockpit. Getting this area flex free will do wonders for getting friends and family aboard for short and long cruises and might even convince them to do it again.
So, under the Starboard seat, I epoxied up a sheet of 9mm marine grade plywood, cut to fit and trimmed to allow the drain to sit neatly in the groove between it and the under bridge support.
I then covered the slit I created a week ago with masking take and liberally filled it with thickened epoxy.
Then I took my 2.5cm dowel that was already wrapped in waxpaper and pressed it into the thickened epoxy to create the drain that will slope downwards towards the cockpit’s footwell. Hopefully the water will follow and go right out the scuppers and back into the ocean.
And for a teaser for the next posting to this blog.. I finally found a piece of wood that was in Flirt that was not rotted or moldy.. the support that was molded into the floor of the cockpit.. though I do have to say, I do not think the workers at Sailstar had access to a table saw.. look at the wavey edges on that thing!
yes, my shed’s door has rot.. I have plans to do up the shed nice and pretty this summer too