And Flirt has no sole, in the cockpit, that is. After sanding down the Port side quarterberth, and seeing no rain in the forecast for the next week, I took a little extra time to attack the next phase of my Sprite’s cockpit rejuvenation.
I started with that great boat killer, the angle grinder. With a fresh blade in it, I cut along all four sides 2 inches from the edge of the sole. I needed to use my reciprocating saw after that to chew through some of the wood supports I tried to epoxy in (epoxy is very hard to cut through) and dropped the whole thing into open hull.
Still with some time to kill, I brought out my sander and made very quick work of the texture paint that the factory put everywhere inside the hull and brought everything to a nice smooth finish (as smooth as 40 grit can do) in anticipation of the next step..
This was how the cockpit sole looked before I started the major surgery. It’s dirty from a couple of years worth of just collecting leaves, berries, and all the dust that has flown out the cabin companionway.
The two small, ineffectual drains will be replaced too.
And this is how it looks now.. a big gaping hole into the bowels of Flirt. As the Weekender and the Daysailor use the same hull, but a different cockpit (daysailor is non-draining) I wonder how much deeper the cockpit of the daysailor is.
And no story is complete without the remains.
Next comes my epoxying in some supports for the side of the cockpit, and then “floors” to support the waterbladder that is going into this spot before I seal her all back up, nice and water tight.