Cockpit work is coming along nicely, I managed to get a strip of ply bonded to the hull and covered in Carbon to act as a “foot” to the cockpit supports. I did not want to leave a hard spot on Flirt’s most fragile hull part, I sought to spread out the load over a 4 inch wide by 5 foot long strip would do wonders.
After that, I cut a piece of ply from a template to reconstruct the Starboard Side quarter-berth and act as the cockpit’s much needed support. Sadly none of my clamps could be turned around to press it against the cockpit, so I was forced to resort to drilling a couple dozen screws to pull it tight. The squeeze out of the epoxy was incredible to see as it was pulled tighter and tighter.
With that done, it was time to address one other short coming in Alberg’s design for the Sea Sprite 23.. Storage. After measuring out six and a half feet for the berth, I cut a hatch into the top of the cockpit bench. Yes, this only leaves me a 16 inch wide storage cubby, but that is Sixteen more inches of storage I did not have before. Perfect for Fenders, rope, a spare anchor, or anything else I might need in a hurry.
Now to bring it all together. I hope to get a bulkhead built between that storage locker and the rest of the cabin tomorrow. The Grampian 23 my parents had when I was child had a large locker in the cockpit that simply opened up into the hull. A good pooping and all that water would have flooded and sunk her. As my plans for Flirt include one cruise to the Bahamas, I am not about to take that chance.
First the Plywood (not sure what is up with my camera, the lens must have been dirty):
Screwed into place and epoxied over to protect the ply from the damp weather:
And the storage locker.. first the cuts: