Ok.. so it actually did for a couple of days, but my crop of mold is still coming in quite well. Going to be a bumper crop this year.
So between the ever so frequent raindrops, I did manage to get some work done to Flirt, not as much as I would like, but the day when I stop destruction and start construction is within sight.
My biggest thing is getting the ever wiggly cockpit shored up. I had thought to epoxy some wood to the underside of it, but it was proving near impossible to do a good job of it, so the sole of the cockpit is going to come out, which is actually a big help for what I have planned.
These past few days have been spent sanding and grinding in the Starboard side quarter-berth area. If you have ever been aboard a Sea Sprite 23, you will know that this qualifies as a “coffin berth” at the best of times. Squeezing my 180 pound, 6 foot self into the space with a respirator on and power tools would make a yogi proud. So today, the Starboard Berth is clean, smooth, and has a strip of plywood being epoxied into it.
The SS23 has rather thin glassfibre, while most of the time it is quite unnoticeable, under the cockpit the hull is quite “flat” aside from the keel itself, this lends itself to flexing. I could see it flex even under the pressure of my sander. In order to rebuild the cockpit, I am affixing plywood to the sides of the footwell down to the hull itself before opening up the sole. I had a fear that this plywood bulkhead would make too hard a spot on the hull and create a failure point, so I epoxied in a 3 inch wide “foot” for it to sit on. Soon, I will have the bulkhead in place and I can start on the other side.
quarter berth all nice and shiny.
And with a strip of plywood being epoxied into place.
The other reason for all this: Sea Sprite 23s all sit stern high. They were designed with an inboard in mind, but very few ever got one, sadly those that didn’t get one, never got ballasted properly for it’s loss, so they sit on their lines wrong. Flirt was one of these boats.
To help her sit on her lines, give me more provisioning for longer cruises, and replace a very questionable water tank, this is going under the cockpit, a 26.5 gallon Plastimo flexible water tank. With the cockpit sole cut out, I can reinforce this area properly for it’s weight and build an epoxied box to keep it safe.
And just for fun, I opened up the lazerette hatch and placed a box fan over it to suck the dust out as I sanded and ground down the ‘glass. I am certain that my neighbors are going to wonder about all the white “pollen” on their cars later.